President Obama released six books for his summer reading list on his Facebook page Friday. He wrote that his upcoming travels will be the first time he has visited Africa since leaving the White House. "I was proud to visit sub-Saharan Africa more times than any other sitting President," he wrote. He also wrote that he'll be returning this week to visit Kenya and South Africa.
African authors wrote five of the six books on President Obamas' summer reading list. The title not written by an African is The World As It Is, a memoir by Ben Rhodes, the former Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications, which covers his time during the Obama Administration.
- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
- A Grain of Wheat by Ngugi wa Thiong'o
- The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between by Hisham Matar
- Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela Forward by President Bill Clinton
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie